Problem with revExecuteSQL - More

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 1 21:03:50 EDT 2007

On 11/1/07 4:27 PM, "Dave" <dave at looktowindward.com> wrote:
> This is my main gripe with RunRev really. There are three features
> that I've used lately (and not used before), advertised to death on
> the news letters, etc. And when you use them, god help you if you
> want to do anything other than the rather plain examples. As soon as
> you get into a "real-life" situation RunRev (in my experience) lets
> you down.

(hopefully everyone except Eric Chatonet will read this.  He already knows
this stuff.  He wrote it.)

The reality of the situation is that databases are many and have nothing to
do with Rev docs.  The "real-life" solutions you refer to almost always
involve considerable study, such as syntax and encoding.  There is no way
Rev could document all of these areas.  HOWEVER :-)  see the next part
---------------------
Don't forget to do the following:
Open Rev, open Documentation, then click on Search, say yes to the update.
Now you can search across the
Dictionary {drop down menu choices }
Mail Archive {drop down choices[ Gmane Nable Google etc] }
RevOnline {drop down choices [RevNet RevOnline WebDatabase] }
....across sites (such as Eric Chatonet, Ken, Chipp) }
Google {drop down choices [Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc]}

RevOnline search will find example stacks.  Click Display to download them.
WebDatabase searching 'sql' finds Chipp, Trevor, Ken
'XML' finds 9 hits, one of which is a Scripting Conference stack by Rev on
XML
----->The XML Guide is a comprehensive workshop that shows you how to use
XML in Revolution.
To download click here... right on the Rev web site!
This stack was kindly contributed by Sarah Reichelt of TrozWare.
---------------------------------

Rev Search was ** written by Eric Chatonet for Rev = very powerful !!

Think of this list and Google as your friends when you begin to travel in
the complex areas.

For example, PHP is on virtually every web server, used by many thousands of
programmers and is now at version 5.2+  The docs change frequently.

Each version that is released has bugs, function and syntax changes, so that
programmers have to constantly study the new docs and find their own ways to
update older code. That's right, version 4.1.3 code will probably break if
run on an updated server, even 4.4.4.  In the PHP world, this is normal.

I have done some Rev-XML parsing work recently, and had to dive into XML
docs on the web  and Sarah's stack to learn the standards.

No way can Rev docs keep up with all the other communities.

What are the three features you tried?  XML?  SQL?  ??
Sql is beyond the Rev docs, but Rev allows us to connect easily with Sql
databases.
XML is beyond the Rev docs, even though you can build parsers, etc in Rev.

> Hours coding and design takes a day or more to get right, just
> because of the documentation and the lack of central place and bad
> support
'Only a day or more'... wow! you are much faster than I am at getting my
head around other protocols and languages.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas