missing mousedowns mystery

Jeff Reynolds jeff at siphonophore.com
Thu May 31 17:51:49 EDT 2007

I have a touch screen application where i trigger all events via
mousedowns (works best for that type of interface).

The problem is once and a while a mouse down event is not caught by
revolution. it appears to usually happen after clicking on a button
that brings up a different group and then when you quickly try to
click on one of the newly visible group's buttons quickly the
mousedown is not captured on the object that is clicked on (like a
transparent button). the mousedown message does go onto the card
level though. why would a button that was clicked on not get the
mousedown, but the card get it? it seems a bit time dependent, as
this does not occur if i wait a second or two before hitting the
second button. it is almost like the group is not really there yet
even though you can see it and the mousedown script appears to be over.

It does appear that all the other handlers are getting the proper
message since the same button that appears not go grab the mousedown
does get the mouseenter message.

I am also finding that the mousedown is automatically passed to the
card from a button mousedown if the group the button is on is hidden
as part of the button's script. if the group is not hidden as part of
the button's mousedown script the mousedown is not passed. this seems
odd to me.

This happens in both standalone and authoring environments. so far i
have only been dealing with this on the mac os. same behavior in both
rev 2.6 and 2.8.

I think this particular stack is the only time i have seen this
behavior as i have used mousedowns a lot in other stacks and never
found them to similar missing mousedown catches in objects.

cheers,

Jeffrey Reynolds