All this talk about DataBases

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Wed May 30 05:02:55 EDT 2007

From: "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com>

G'day Chipp,

> Are you saying you have Rev stack corruption problems on Windows?

One person had problems on Win 98 with one of my stacks.  Repeatedly.  I
took the same application to another machine (running Win 2K) and there was
not a single error.  Their HD checked out, RAM was minimal but adequate for
the task, but it kept failing.  Could not reproduce the error even in a VM
with Win 98 as the client.  So I came to the conclusion it was the vagaries
of Win98. It didn't bother me much as I've found Win 98 users don't tend to
buy new software much anyway (though they sure like the free stuff and
demand that that runs <g>).

> Since I started using MetaCard and Rev, I've never..not  once..encountered
> a stack corruption error. As you know, I've
> delivered several commercial apps, for Altuit and other customers, and to
> my knowledge have never had a report of a corrupted data stack
> either.

I might have been unlucky, but I've seen Access do the same thing along with
Paradox, dBase and all the other flatfile db's - yet work flawlessly with
Win2K and above.  Fat32 never was "robust".  ;)

> AFAIK, the RAM architecture Raney designed early on, is working extremely
> well!

Indeed and I'm certainly not complaining or trying to give the impression of
anything other than that.  I don't have any respect for Win95, 98 or Mil
however.

Scott Kane
CD Too - Voice Overs Artist  &Original Game and Royalty Free Multi-Media
Music
"There are two ways of being deceived.  One is to believe that which is not
true.  The other is to not believe that which is true." Søren Aabye
Kierkegaard