All this talk about DataBases

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue May 29 23:29:44 EDT 2007

From: "Chipp Walters" <chipp at chipp.com>

> One huge advantage of using an external databsase like SQLite is the
> ability to store data outside of RAM. HyperCard used to use a non-RAM
> based design, but Rev stores everything in RAM. So, if you have an address
> book which has 100,000 records in a single stack, then all the
> records would need to be stored in RAM simultaneously, creating
> performance problems.
>
> Plus, there are a number of huge advantages of using real databases.
> Concurrent users, real transaction management, stored procs, etc..

Nail on the head, of course.  I'd be curious to know why RR decided to
change the behaviour of how stacks are read (from file as opposed to loaded
fully into RAM).  I suspect it would be possible to work around this, I
believe Rob Cozens does something of the sought with Serendipity, but the
question is whether it's really worth while given it's all there already
with a "real" database.

Scott Kane
CD Too - Voice Overs Artist  & Original Game and Royalty Free Multi-Media
Music
What a waste of thumbs that are opposable