All this talk about DataBases

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue May 29 22:54:04 EDT 2007

From: "Joe Lewis Wilkins" <pepetoo at cox.net>

> Guess I'm going to start up another great controversy.

I shouldn't think.  This is a very interesting discussion AFA I am concerned
at any rate.

> Again I'm  hearkening back to my HC days. When it was first released, one
> of its main claims to fame was the question as to whether or not it WAS a
> database. Certainly, it had all of the attributes and features of  one.
> Even with SE30s as a machine; and, with some 2,000 records/ cards, HC
> performed acceptably fast considering the simplicity of its
> implementation and subsequent use. So, my question is: has RR done  such a
> poor job at duplicating this functionality that we cannot get  along
> without specialty DBs in MOST instances? If it has, then at  what record
> level must we consider using these other DBs? I realize  that there ARE
> many applications that will need a greater capacity,  but not the average
> one created by the "average" Rev user. I'd sure  like to know.

So would I.  I'd love to hear how big a record set (per stack of cards, per
stack file etc) people have achieved and gotten acceptable performance.  I
have built applications using both altSQL in the past and using Stacks of
cards.  A project I'm considering would benefit immensely from this
discussion.

Scott Kane
CD Too - Voice Overs Artist  & Original Game and Royalty Free Multi-Media
Music
"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a
little way past them into the impossible."
Arthur C Clarke