Closing substack, closes RunRev and the application

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Tue May 29 18:16:07 EDT 2007

On May 29, 2007, at 3:56 PM, mfstuart wrote:

> Yes, that's exactly what my situation is Devin.
> Thanx a million.
> But what would I add to each substacks on closeStack? Nothing? I'm
> not sure.

You can approach it one of two ways:

1 - Limit the mainstack's closeStack to affect only the mainstack:

# In the mainstack's stack script
on closeStack
   if the short name of this stack = the short name of me then
     # anything here will only affect the mainstack
     quit
   end if
end closeStack

2 - Block each substack's closeStack message from passing up the
hierarchy:

# In each substack's stack script
on closeStack
   # just an empty handler will prevent passing the message
   # be sure not to pass closeStack
end closeStack

> Devin Asay wrote:
>>

>> On May 29, 2007, at 2:17 PM, mfstuart wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>> While in edit mode of my application, I opened a substack and added
>>> a script
>>> to a button. I saved the application with the File > Save - so
>>> far no
>>> problem. But when I clicked on the substacks X (Close) button, it
>>> closed the
>>> complete application and exited Run Rev.
>>> Can someone explain what I'm doing wrong here?
>>
>> Mark,
>>
>> If your mainstack (which becomes the executable when saved as
>> standalone) has an closeStack handler that issues a quit command,
>> then any substack that does not have its own closeStack handler would
>> automatically pass closeStack up to the mainstack, triggering the
>> quit.
>>
>> Just a guess, but this has happened to me before.

Regards,

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University