Relative folder paths

Bob Earp rjearp at hotmail.com
Tue May 29 16:18:12 EDT 2007

Bill,We needed to use relative paths for audio and video clips, plus graphics in our CBT engine some time ago, and came upon the same problems as you.  Particularly as sometimes the projects were distributed via CD or DVD and we had no control over what drive letter/name was being used.  I'm not sure if our solution will help you but I'm totally gob smacked to be able to offer something to this group instead of continuing to be a leach on the Rev society !!We overcame it by calling an initPaths handler (see below) called from an openStack handler.  We then wrote our own video and audio handlers that refer to those globals.  The graphics are handled by making sure we refer to just the file name (not the path) in the Name property of the Image control, which is a bit weird as  sometimes it is displayed in the Property Inspector including the current path and file name.You'll note that we had to deal with the paths differently for MacOS vs Windoze.  If you'd like the audio and video handlers (which include the ability to stop the media via an ESC key press), I'd be happy to upload them.  They're very small. I seem to remember that Rev was saying that relative paths were a new feature, but I haven't looked into it recently as what we did solved our problem.HTH, Bob...on InitPaths  -- get and save the project path    if the platform = "MacOS" then -- this is required for Mac platforms only due to differences in file path reporting    set the itemDelimiter to "/"    put the effective fileName of this stack into gProjectPath    delete the last item of gProjectPath  else    set the itemDelimiter to "/"    put item 1 to -2 of the effective filename of this stack into gProjectPath  end if      -- setup the audio folder path  put gProjectPath & "/Audio" into gAudioPath    -- set up the video folder path  put gProjectPath & "/Video" into gVideoPath    -- set up the graphics path for image controls  set the defaultFolder to gProjectPath & "/Graphics/"  end InitPaths~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:10:29 -0700From: Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com>Subject: Relative folder pathsTo: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>Message-ID:<B1E7BAB9-0112-1000-B470-63B572F54FB3-Webmail-10006 at mac.com>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1I can't seem to refer to folders via relative paths.Lets say I have a folder containing a standalone, Data folder, and Preference folder all at the same level. The defaultFolder would be the folder at the level of the standalone.If I change the defaultFolder to "DataFileFolder" I can then just "put the files into vFilesList" to get a listing of the files. However, this resets the defaultFolder value so I can't get to things in the Preference folder.How would I get a listing of files in the defaultFolder/DataFileFolder?Thanks,Bill Vlahos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Robert J. Earp - PresidentAshford Technologies Inc.#8 5965 205A Street, LangleyBritish Columbia.  V3A 8C4t: +1 604 539 1662f: +1 604 541 1686