[ANN] id3libv1.0.0

Scott Kane scott at cdroo.com
Tue May 29 07:24:53 EDT 2007

From: "Ian Wood" <revlist at azurevision.co.uk>

> Did they give you the patent number at any time? Otherwise it sounds
> suspiciously like someone trying it on. :-(

I have some stuff on my work machine.  I'll check tomorrow and get back to
you.  I hold the correct licenses and the legal drivel would make any lawyer
proud.

> A quick look through via Google patent search doesn't appear to show
> anything covering MP3 ID3 tags themselves, just some of the potential
> *uses* of them.
>
> <http://www.google.com/patents?lr=&q=mp3+id3&sa=N&start=0>

Yup.  Ogg doesn't use any MP3 technology either - but Thompson lawyers have
repeated several times that they think it *might*.   I'm assuming they
reckon any format that compresses audio inside a file *might* be theirs - I
really don't think the legal staff even know what compression actually is.

Scott