best way to define clickable areas with irregular shapes ?

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Fri May 25 13:02:28 EDT 2007

>> What is the best way to define clickable maps / areas with irregular
>> shapes on a large background image ?

> As png images with transparency (alpha channel) receive mouse
> messages only in non transparent areas, here is a way to do the trick:
> Open your original image in PhotoShop or any image editor you use and
> erase all non hotspots places then save this modified image as a png.
> Hotspots are now very precise :-)

It's worth noting that with the introduction of version 2.7 (I believe)
graphic objects will detect the mouse only within filled area they occupy,
instead of their rects, which makes them quite suitable for irregular click
regions.  It's no longer necessary to use images for this purpose.

Regards,

Scott Rossi
Creative Director
Tactile Media, Multimedia & Design