Error in docs about "file creation date"

Jim Ault JimAultWins at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 17:21:21 EDT 2007

On 5/22/07 2:09 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:

> Wilhelm Sanke wrote:
>
>> I repeat my recommendation to add the ability to read EXIF data with the
>> detailed files function:
>
> I don't know if I'd like that. To read the EXIF data, every file would
> have to be opened and read individually, which would be very
> time-consuming. As it is now, a single call to the OS returns all the
> information without having to open (or even acknowledge) any files at
> all. Reading a lot of files in a folder, just to see if they have EXIF
> data, and if so, retrieve that data, would really slow down the detailed
> files function for people who aren't working with image files.

And beyond that, EXIF data is not part of all image files, mostly only those
files from a device such as a camera.

If you have iPhoto open, you can use AppleScript to tell iPhoto to return
the EXIF data in an image file in its library.  The same will work for
Photoshop and Graphic Converter.  I don't believe the OSX Finder app will
read this part of an image file, and the Rev 'detailed files' returns info
by asking the Finder to get it.  I could be wrong about this.  Try it and
see.

Jim Ault
Las Vegas