Error in docs about "file creation date"

Wilhelm Sanke sanke at hrz.uni-kassel.de
Mon May 21 17:22:02 EDT 2007

Ian Wood, revlist at azurevision.co.uk wrote:

> > The creation date is generated when the image arrives on the
> > computer, and a new creation date is generated each time the image
>
> > is saved or copied. Simply "moving" an image to another folder does
> > *not* change the creation date.
>
> FWIW, that's NOT true on OS X. At least when downloading images using
> Image Capture, iPhoto or Aperture, the creation date allocated to the
> file is the time that the file was saved to the memory card.
>
> The time it was downloaded does not appear in the file info in any
> way. The creation date sometimes gets altered as you describe when
> uploaded and downloading, but copying and/or saving doesn't alter it.

I occured to me immediately after I sent the post that what I said about
"arriving on the computer"
 reflects my habit to "copy" the photo files from the memory card to the
computer.

I usually use memory cards of 1 and 2 GB  and firstly *copy* the photos
for safety reasons - it could happen that during the transfer something
goes awry - and because I like to keep the photos on the cards  for a
certain time to copy them elsewhere or have them ready for display on a
TV or for simply looking through them on the camera.

Wilhelm Sanke

<http://www.sanke.org/MeaMedia>