Error in docs about "file creation date"

Ian Wood revlist at azurevision.co.uk
Mon May 21 15:15:40 EDT 2007

On 21 May 2007, at 20:00, Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> When a photo is taken, it gets a modification date at the same
> time, although it is - as it were - only modified out of non-
> existence.
> The creation date is generated when the image arrives on the
> computer, and a new creation date is generated each time the image
> is saved or copied. Simply "moving" an image to another folder does
> *not* change the creation date.

FWIW, that's NOT true on OS X. At least when downloading images using
Image Capture, iPhoto or Aperture, the creation date allocated to the
file is the time that the file was saved to the memory card.

The time it was downloaded does not appear in the file info in any
way. The creation date sometimes gets altered as you describe when
uploaded and downloading, but copying and/or saving doesn't alter it.

I've not tested it to be sure, but suspect that OS X is keeping the
proper creation date as long as the file is on an HFS volume.

Ian