Error in docs about "file creation date"

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun May 20 14:51:48 EDT 2007

Wilhelm Sanke wrote:

> The detailed-files function of Rev appears to be extremely "buggy", and
> the Rev team should take a close look both at the function itself and
> the corresponding information in the docs.

I can't reproduce any problems with it at all. Here is a test I did.
Create a stack with a single field and one button. The button script:

on mouseUp
   answer folder "Choose a folder:"
   set the directory to it
   put the detailed files into fld 1
   repeat with x = 1 to the number of lines in in fld 1
     get item 4 of line x of fld 1
     convert it to short date and time
     put it into item 4 of line x of fld 1
     get item 5 of line x of fld 1
     convert it to short date and time
     put it into item 5 of line x of fld 1
   end repeat
end mouseUp

This will give you a list of detailed files with the creation and
modification dates converted so they are easier to read.

I ran this script on several folders in OS X and then compared the
results in the field to the info the Finder gives me when I "get info"
on each file. The creation and modification dates and times matched
exactly in all cases.

Some of the files had been copied to my hard drive from another volume.
Those files showed a creation date that was the day I copied them, not
the day of their original creation on the original volume. The OS does
that. But in all cases, the "detailed files" always returned the same
results that the Finder gives in its "Get Info" information.

Then I opened the same stack in WinXP and got identical results. The
creation and modification dates on each file matched the ones given in
the Properties dialog for each file. A few files -- which had been
copied from a Mac volume to Windows -- gave strange dates where the
modification date was earlier than the creation date. But when I looked
at the Properties for those files in WinXP, Windows listed the same odd
dates in its dialogs.

This seems to show that that Rev is retrieving the information from the
OS, as expected, and that any unusual results are due to the OS rather
than to Revolution.

Do you get similar results if you run the above script?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com