How do I mimic dialog boxes?

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at cox.net
Sun May 20 12:43:15 EDT 2007

Joe,

I just tried "simple" ask and answer calls from the message box. They
were acceptably fast; so I must conclude that such things as using
your own Icon and complex parameters must be the source of the
apparent slowness you are seeing. I wouldn't give up on the standard
calls yet. The Ask and Answer Dialogs are too intrinsic to not be
optimized. Maybe we get too elaborate with them sometimes. I recall
having used some extremely convoluted Ask and Answer Dialogs in my HC
days. They were as fast as you could want.

Instead of using stacks for them, perhaps we can use hidden images
with buttons and text fields that get shown and then hidden. This
should be very fast I would think. Just a matter of creating them in
the background for a stack. This would also allow for some fairly
unusual/fancy Dialog appearances. Just a thought. Maybe hair-brained?

Joe Wilkins