Revolution 2.8.1: a 240+ bug fixes/improvements! What about the remaining 1879?

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Fri May 18 00:03:12 EDT 2007

I guess his point is that he gathered some data, and that by that data
the beta was not a huge success at increasing the resolved bugs, as
claimed by some. I myself are inclined to agree, because of this:

1879 bugs are not handled
584 bugs of these where entered after the open beta was announced
3067 bugs are handled
430 of these handled bugs where entered after the open beta

So 3067 of total 4946 have been handled, that is a percentage of ca. 62%
However only 430 of 1014 bugs have been solved during the open beta,
making it 42% percent.
So the percentage of solved bugs during the beta is actually worse then
over all.

Another possible comparision:
The beta was only ca. 6 month's, and bug 1 was filled June 2003, or ca.
35 months ago. Thus 88 bugs per month where solved overall vs. 72 per
month during the beta.
This second comparison is a bit closer, but still unfavourable for the
beta.

Of course with such small numbers, one can not really draw a conclusive
decision, because if a person was sick for a month during January 2007
(for example), then the beta would suffer a much bigger setback then
the overall score.

Still, based on these numbers, stating that the beta was a huge success
in solving bugs is certainly an unfounded one, even if it was a success
based on other criterias (like the satisfaction poll mentioned by bill
some days ago).

--

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.bjoernke.com