'Community Beta' has lost its way

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon May 14 07:55:30 EDT 2007

Bernard,

I do have to agree with you that the beta forum is anemic. Not a lot of end
users seem to use it, it might be helpful if they did. Most of the "action"
seems to be on the email lists and in BugZilla itself. ... which is fine.
I'd rather have the issues reported in RQCC than to be discussed or chatted
about in a BBS. Furthermore, despite efforts to address this, I'm not always
notified by email when a new post in the forum occurs. This means if I don't
manually go to the forum and check it, things can be missed.

While I'm one of the "moderators" there this is an administrative function
and not a promise of being there continually... It's a peer-to-peer forum. I
suppose if it creates an expectation that we cannot meet, we might consider
pulling it altogether. But I do think some people like it and it keeps the
list free of beta-related discussions not of interest to everyone.

Bill