'Community Beta' has lost its way

Bill Marriott wjm at wjm.org
Mon May 14 07:47:16 EDT 2007

Bernard,

My apologies for not giving you a direct response to your email of two weeks
ago yet.

In an announcement to beta test members, I requested from the community
their "top 5" bugs. This resulted in SCORES of responses from a beta
community of nearly 600 members. For each email sent to me, I had to:

- Read it
- Try to see if the bug was already reported in Bugzilla/RQCC
- If it wasn't, write up a new bug covering that item
- If it was, record the issue both in RQCC and in a separate system I'm
using to help prioritize what we're working on.

Not all users were kind enough to supply a bug number -- and they didn't
have to. The point was to provide a channel (if only for one time only) for
them to get out what was on their mind to someone who would/could do
something about it -- without having to go through the structure of a bug
report or using a system they might not like very much.

The "Top 5" process has resulted in more than 300 items submitted and
ultimately about 134 entries in RQCC being "touched." This has taken
something more than about 30 hours of work... so far.

I asked people to send me their top 5 bugs, and I did contact many people
about what they wrote me, but there's no way I invited -- NOR could I
handle -- a hundred discreet dialogs on the topics. I'll grant you I could
have supplied an auto-responder, "thanks for your top five bugs" but it was
actually my intent to provide a thorough status update on the initiative
within 30 days of asking for the information.

Now, as for the Open Beta losing its way...

You can have your choice of Rev throwing together something, labeling it
2.7.5 and being done with it... or waiting for 2.9 to be released with some
serious progress on quality and stability.

You can either have the Altuit technology released now in a reasonably
integrated form, with the syntax you'll need to use going forward, and some
spiffed up documentation and sample stacks... or you can wait indefinitely
while every single open bug in Bugzilla sits ahead of that in priority.

You can either have a retail version of Rev that runs properly on Windows
Vista, or keep a Vista-compatible version of Rev in beta until a Linux
version is ready. (No dessert till you finish your dinner?)

I was involved in the decision to rename the "2.7.5" milestone and happen to
personally agree with the release strategy that was chosen. Version 2.8.0
replaced 2.7.4 and was a much better product for both current and new users.
The Vista functionality was absolutely essential to have available to
everyone. And we are also nearing the 2.8.1 release, which will greatly
enhance the value of Rev with hundreds of additional fixes and solid
integration of the Altuit externals, with proper documentation and nice
sample stacks.

As for 2.9, as covered in subsequent newsletter articles and many previous
posts to the use-rev list, NOTHING has changed except the version label.

By the way, according to the survey we JUST sent out (the second in a series
in which we ask for direct feedback), the vast majority of beta testers find
the communication to be Good or Excellent and urge us to continue on the
road we're on -- taking our time to make sure quality is addressed carefully
and thoroughly.

Bill

"Bernard Devlin"
<revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com> wrote in