Function Points

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed May 9 14:17:47 EDT 2007

David Bovill wrote:
> Whats a slam-dunk?

It's an American colloquialism derived from basketball, referring to
scoring a solid point in one decisive move (slamming the ball through
the hoop).

> What sort of tools are you thinking of here Richard? I am asking because I
> still have the code graphing tools hanging around waiting for a renewed
> lease of "I'm needed" energy... they graph handler relationships, optionally
> including which controls they are in... from memory you were looking at
> profiling?

It started out with an interest in cyclomatic complexity, tailoring
McCabe's algorithm to be more appropriate for Rev (for example, I weight
"send...in time" since it's one of the few ways you can introduce race
conditions into Rev code, and race conditions eat disproportionate time
when diagnosing bugs).

Then I added a few other metrics, including fan-in and fan-out, which
led to the "Fandango" design pattern Ken and I talked about in our
session last year at RevCon West.

Fan-in/Fan-out sound like overlaps of your dependency diagrams.  I've
avoided the challenge of diagramming dependencies myself, as the ROI
didn't match up for my needs.

But if you have dependency diagramming already in place, there may
indeed be some way the two tools could be integrated.

The weak link to such an integration may be on my end:  while useful,
they're of a lower priority than client work, so they get attention only
in between phases with more important projects.  As a result, it's hard
to say when it'll be in any form that others could use.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation