Function Points

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue May 8 13:27:53 EDT 2007

While working on some code base analysis tools, I began to wonder about
the up-front side of the equation, estimating.

Although there are many useful measurements for code base analysis, I've
found few methods for measuring the scope of a project before the code
is written.

Perhaps the most popular is counting function points, but as I've looked
into this it seems that even the best methods for counting function
points have a strong subjective element (when is a particular input
considered "complex"?).  So while I can see the value for large shops
where the same teams might derive function point counts across a great
many projects, I haven't yet come across a method of measuring project
scope in a way that allows different smaller shops to compare their
findings in any meaningful way.

Do any of you use function point analysis?  What other methods of
quantitatively scoping a project have you found useful? What constitutes
a function point in Rev, and how does one weight it?

And perhaps more to the point:  Am I looking for a Holy Grail in trying
to find an objective measurement for projects which don't have any code yet?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation