Can this be true: just a few weeks to get Rev running as a cross-platform cross-browser browser plugin?

David Bovill david at openpartnership.net
Tue May 8 07:17:48 EDT 2007

Well according to Peter Fisk (
http://vistasmalltalk.wordpress.com/2007/05/07/smalltalk-dlr-compiler/):

I have built a Smalltalk compiler for the DLR (Dynamic Language Runtime)
> which is currently capable of processing arithmetic expressions. Smalltalk
> is structurally a very simple language, and I estimate that the compiler
> could be completed within one to two weeks.

Which basically means that it is possible to run a whole bunch of languages
like IronPython, Smalltalk and Lisp amongst others inside a Windows(
Browser.IE, Browser.Fx) or an OSX(Browser.Fx, Browser.Safari)) using the
Silverlight cross-browser plugin -
http://www.oreillynet.com/windows/blog/2007/05/ironpython_smalltalk_lisp_wind.html

Now is the Transcript language in RunRev that much more complicated than
SmallTalk? If it can take one developer a couple of weeks to build a
SmallTalk compiler then how much effort would it be to do this for RunRev?
Not only would we be able to use Transcript in the browser,  but mix it with
other languages in the .NET / Mono frameworks?

My guess is that it would be a bit more complicated than SmallTalk - and we
would not be able to use the RunRev controls inside the browser. Still to be
able to use Transcript instead of Javasript, and as part of a long term
strategy to get Rev working seamlessly with altBrowser and AJAX style apps -
is this not a good direction to follow? Yes people would need to install the
Silverlight plugin, but this is a Microsoft plugin and a strategic(ish) part
of VISTA?