Clause in the Valentina License

Lynn Fredricks lfredricks at proactive-intl.com
Sat May 5 11:38:39 EDT 2007

> What is this saying exactly?
>
> Is it saying that if I write an application in Rev using
> Valentina for Rev, and provide the ability for my user to
> export his own data, that he has keyed in himself, into csv
> tables, with a view to enabling him to use his own data as he
> chooses in a different database, and not be tied forever to a
> Valentina database, then I have violated the terms of the
> license, and he has also if he uses the export feature?
>
> And with regard to me, the potential buyer, is this by
> implication asserting that Paradigma has the right to impose
> post-sale restrictions on the use I may make of the product?
> That is, it can technically be used to do some things, but it
> is sold with a post sale restriction on use which forbids
> anyone to do them?  Rather like, to take an obviously absurd
> example, I take my Sony DVD player home and discover that by
> opening the package I have agreed not to play any but Sony
> movies on it?
>
> These restrictions have been generally ruled unlawful and
> anti-competitive in the EU for obvious reasons.

It means you cannot create a database translator to one of these formats and
utilize a "mid way" transformation into text to do so - claiming that once
the data is transformed into text, it isnt technically a translator because
text is an open format.

If you want to dump data into an XML file to give your customers some sort
of non-Valentina backup method, that doesn't violate these terms at all.
However if you create an XML translator and then create an external tool for
translating that XML into Firebird format, you would be in violation of this
agreement.

The Sony DVD player argument doesn't apply here, because effectively that
argues against all click-agree agreements, not our agreement in particular.
IP almost always comes with express rights that otherwise limited whatever
else you might want to do with it. Lets say you buy a Porky Pig DVD to watch
on your new Sony DVD player. Just because you've bought the DVD, you've
gotten a license to use the IP in a certain way - it doesn't come with the
right to pop it into your computer, make screenshots, then turn those
screenshots into T-shirts that you then go out and sell.

In this case - we don't want database translators made using this particular
version of Valentina, without permission. And yes, we've granted permission
before to do this very thing when its made proper business sense to do so
:-)

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President