A daft idea about using a printerserver to import video . . .

Stephen Barncard stephenREVOLUTION at barncard.com
Fri May 4 13:31:10 EDT 2007

Richmond, is your time so non-valuable you need to put yourself
though this? These days when $250 will buy you a networkable color
printer that you plug and play?

I've been there, done that. These kludges with old (older than 6
years) hardware do nothing but drive you crazy and take up inordinate
amounts of time. Always.

Example. Got the kids' old G4 Cube. Nice headless server. Runs OS X.
But the 250 gig drive I put in it will only max out at 120 gigs
because of firmware limitations. In spite of that, it's a pretty good
server. But it is on the edge of it's life, and I'm sure it won't run
OS10.5. It took a day to set up for various reasons.

Same with the old iMac from my daughter. The CD drive was out, so
installing new software was a problem, it needs now rare and
expensive RAM, needs WIFI and expanding the hard drive space had the
same problem as above. I have the parts, but it was just taking too
much time.

--

stephen barncard
s a n  f r a n c i s c o