special folders

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Thu May 3 12:55:22 EDT 2007

On Thu, 03 May 2007 09:25:36 -0700, Sadhunathan Nadesan wrote:

> -2-  Does the ability to install an executable file to a particular
> folder not also mean that files in that folder are writeable?  For
> example, in a two-part executable plus writable stack architecture,
> if the install program places the loader (executable) into folder x,
> is it not guaranteed that I can write to the operational stack in
> that same folder?
>
> I'm wondering the same as Mark. (which, apologies,  I have slightly
> edited his response to be my question, but I think it's the same
> question)

There's also the issue of what app's doing the installation - it is
very common (esp. on Windows) for an installer to request authorization
or  have a built-in method of elevating its permission level for the
purpose of the installation - but that's different than when the
installed program itself runs. So you might be able to install an
executable to a folder and then not have the executable itself be able
to write to the folder it's in.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com