special folders

Sadhunathan Nadesan sadhu at castandcrew.com
Thu May 3 12:25:36 EDT 2007

-2-  Does the ability to install an executable file to a particular folder not also mean that files in that folder are writeable?  For example, in a two-part executable plus writable stack architecture, if the install program places the loader (executable) into folder x, is it not guaranteed that I can write to the operational stack in that same folder?

> Mark

Many thanks to everyone who replied to my post, loved the 'guidelines'
and it was very educational!

I'm wondering the same as Mark. (which, apologies,  I have slightly
edited his response to be my question, but I think it's the same question)

I guess the answer depends on if it is possible to have a directory that
allows write permission, while files in the directory do not have write
permission.  If this is possible, then I guess the answer is no.  I'm
thinking it would be possible to do this on a Linux system (although it
might take a bit of effort setting umask variables etc.) but I'm not
really sure because I've never tried it.  I could check.