Crashes with 2.8.1 dp4

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed May 2 22:06:40 EDT 2007

Joe Lewis Wilkins wrote:
> I had pasted a very small picture into my last email and it was
> deleted before being posted, so what I said won't make much sense.
> I'm coming very close to giving this whole thing up as a lost cause.
> I thought we had a finely tuned tool when I got into this. I should
> have lurked on this list for a bit longer, I guess.

You sound frustrated. If you can explain what you're trying to do, we
can probably help. A certain amount of transitional frustration is
pretty normal, ask anybody here. ;)

> I'm not working with a beta, but 2.8.0 the latest release, and was
> having an error in attempting to build a standalone.

I remember that, but there wasn't enough info to diagnose it. Newer
builds now include more progress information for diagnostics.

> I've reverted
> back to an earlier copy and started rebuilding the stack, and it
> seems to be working again; though now I'm having a problem creating a
> path for my external files. They are in a folder in the same folder
> as the .rev stack and the Add Files... button doesn't give me the
> complete path. Instead of "/Application/Revolution
> Studio/MusicFolder/Music1.aiff", I'm just getting
> "/MusicFolder/Music1.aiff".

This is a relative path used by the Standalone Builder so it knows where
to copy your files. You don't need to change what it says, it's correct.
Rev can work with either full or relative paths. Your scripts don't
depend on this path in any way, so no need to mess with it.

> The players are set up with the source for the longer path;

That's fine, a full path always works. You can use either full or
relative paths, your preference. Since the "add file" path in the
Standalone Builder isn't used by your stack, the scripts and objects can
work with file paths in any way that's convenient.

> but more insidiously yet, the following occurs
> "constantly": I change the number back to 8 (or the current one what
> ever it might be), save and before I know it, it has reverted back to
> the next number. I'm pulling my hair out trying to get this bugggger
> to stay fixed. This is definitely a bug. And it happens time and time
> again.

Can you explain what the picture was about? What was the number that
keeps changing, and under what circumstances?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com