Storing objects in custom properties

Ian McKnight iangmcknight at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 30 17:16:44 EDT 2007

On 30/03/07, Jim Ault <JimAultWins at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Your issue is that you need to convert the group or set of fields to a
> single binary string of characters, and I would not know how to do that.
>
> Step back a moment, and look at what groups are... If you have 3 fields and
> one button defined as a group "userInput", this definition is stored in the
> stack, and can be placed on a card, or not.  It is not necessary for the
> group to appear on any of the cards, but it could appear on all of them.
>
> The group can be hidden/shown, can be relocated off the screen, can be put
> moved to a layer behind another object,  can be removed from the card.
> Removing from the card will destroy the data in the fields, so place-remove
> may not be a good option.

Thanks Jim.

I was, I think, trying to be too clever! I was producing a group to
simulate a timetable with a variable number sessions in the day and I
thought that it would be easy to create blank templates and store them
away for retrieval later. However, you are quite right, hiding the
group until needed does the same job. In fact I just need to hide 1
column of my table and clone that as needed. Job done.

Thanks for your help