Alias to Folder?

Mark Talluto userev at canelasoftware.com
Thu Mar 29 20:16:19 EDT 2007

On Mar 29, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Scott Rossi wrote:

> The docs say we have a create alias command.
>
> Is it possible to create an alias to a folder?  (Rev 2.4, 2.7, 2.8)
>
> Thanks & Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi

Hi Scott,

Here is a bit of code I use to create an alias to an app on Macs.
Since apps are viewed as folders, maybe this can be used with little
or no modification.

  --CREATE AN ALIAS FOR THE APPLICATION ON THE DESKTOP
     repeat for each line thisLine in tFiles
         put specialFolderPath("desktop") into tAliasLoc
         put "/" & thisLine after tAliasLoc

         --IF THE ALIAS ALREADY EXISTS THEN DELETE IT FIRST
         --AS THE OLD ONE WILL BREAK THE INSTALLER
         if there is a folder tAliasLoc then
             revDeleteFolder tAliasLoc
         end if

         put specialFolderPath("desktop") into tAliasLoc
         put "/" & quote & thisLine & quote after tAliasLoc
         put tDestLoc into tSourceOfAlias
         put "/" & quote & thisLine & ".app" & quote after
tSourceOfAlias
         put "ln -s" && tSourceOfAlias && tAliasLoc into tCmd
         put shell (tCmd)
     end repeat

Mark Talluto
--