trying to replace perl cgi with rev

wayne durden wdurden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 19:57:12 EDT 2007

Hi Jaqueline!

Thanks for your comments.  I actually waded in and put in the time today and
have solved this already.

CGI is particularly aggravating because it tends to involve multiple files
(the form posting page, the cgi script, any text files being used as flat
file databases, and any text files being used as templates for the returned
HTML pages).  It's maddening tracking the changes, getting them to the right
directories on the servers, etc.  And that's without worrying with the code
in the CGI script itself!

I actually did move things into a button in the ide and found a dropped end
if...:)   That was but one of a couple of items however !

I swear sometimes I believe I am net more productive saving the script one
line at a time for any change and ftp'ing it up and testing, no matter how
small the change.

One other note for others just going down the path of using rev for cgi
work; if you break your ftp connection while stepping through the cycle of
change, ftp up, test, etc.; when you reconnect, make SURE you navigate back
to the cgi-bin directory!  I lost a half of an hour commenting out lines,
ftp'ing up, and testing to no avail because after my reconnect I was sending
up the file to the wrong directory and was testing against the old unchanged
version! :)

Still, when all is sorted out, rev works like a charm for cgi stuff it
seems!

Thanks again for the suggestions Jaque!