Another Export Snapshot Problem

Tariel Gogoberidze tariel at mac.com
Fri Mar 23 17:36:33 EDT 2007

On Mar 21, 2007, at 4:32 AM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Richard and I have been looking at this offlist. I've written Dave
> privately, but just to update everyone here, this is what we found:
>
> 1. There is a problem with PNGs for some reason. The export command
> fails after a certain number of itertations. In Dave's stack, this is
> #289. If you change the export type to GIF or JPEG (or maybe some of
> the
> others we didn't try) then there is no error after any number of
> iterations.
>
> 2. The memory leak is significant, but it only occurs in the IDE. It
> isn't an engine problem.  When running the same script in the MC IDE or
> as a standalone, there is no memory leak.
>
> Therefore, Dave can probably work around the issue by changing his
> export format to something other than PNG, and limiting his tests in
> the
> IDE to fewer repetitions. When run as a standalone, it should be fully
> functional without any leaks for any number of iterations.
>
> I have submitted a bug report for Dave about this, and will update it
> with this info. The bug number is #4558. Gotta thank Richard for some
> heavy-duty sleuthing on this one.
>
> --

It's a shot in the dark but could this memory leak be somehow related
to the fact that the PaintCompression property in Rev IDE is set to
"PNG" while in MC IDE and in bare engine it's set to "RLE" ?

If you still have the "testing" handler that exposes the memory leak
this can be easily tested by setting PaintCompression to "RLE" in Rev
IDE.

best regards
Tariel