Family punchups

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Fri Mar 23 16:18:03 EDT 2007

Peter Alcibiades wrote:

> What we really like about Linux (as distinct
> from Ubuntu) is that you are not handed an expertly packaged user experience,
> and we are increasingly bothered by the perception of Ubuntu as the answer,
> when it is in fact only one of half a dozen equally valid answers.

I can understand this. But it does pose a problem for those who want to
release apps for Linux. What, in general, should the Rev developer aim
for? For example, I just ran one of my stacks in Ubuntu and the fonts
I'd assigned were all wrong. If every Linux user is running a different
distro, are there any ways to make our stacks look at least somewhat
decent on anyone's machine? Any suggestions about this?

> So don't, whatever you do, think that all you have to do to support Linux or
> get it, is run Ubuntu.  Especially not virtually.  You will be missing the
> heart of the matter.

Except for the crashing, where Parallels goes down in flames, the distro
seems to run idenically as it would on a non-virtualized box. I'm not
sure what would be different (but maybe you know.)

I get your point about not equating Ubuntu with Linux though. That does
make sense.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com