having to help Rev (was: Re: Memory Leak on export png????)

Björnke von Gierke bvg at mac.com
Wed Mar 21 14:29:43 EDT 2007

On 21 Mar 2007, at 18:47, Dave wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2007, at 15:17, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

> Actually we started the discussion at cross purposes I think. I was
> talking about first level soak (stress) testing in the development
> process before the code is checked in, before it goes to QA and *way*
> before it gets to beta stage.

I know where you started, I'm neither knowledgeable nor interested
enough to comment on your low level techniques.

> Having said that, I really wouldn't mind doing the beta testing for
> free on a volunteer basis, but not as an expectation!

The mentioned expectation of forcing people to be beta tester hugely
depends on three things:

First, there's the expectation from the community, which can be
perceived this or that way. For me there are some community members (as
in any community) who want you to do as they would want to do
themselves. Mostly I ignore those. However, If the most verbose members
of a community expect the rest of the community to change according to
their own ideals, the community will rupture, dwindle, die. So we as a
community of Rev users must watch out for that.

Secondly there's the expectation of RunRev to deliver meaningful bug
reports, if you make any. Also before that they want you to look if the
bug is already reported. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

The last and most important part of this is How you perceive a message
of a demand. This of course depends on the tone of the demand, and how
strongly it correlates with your own expectation.
Imagine someone demanding from you to breathe. In most situations you'd
greatly agree, as you yourself deem breathing (vitally) important. Now
imagine someone telling you not to breathe. In most situations that
would run counter your own experience and principles, and you would
declare him stupid.
The problem is that not all concepts are as all-encompassing for every
human as breathing. So what's one persons breathing bugs is another
persons not breathing bugs.

Note: I don't want to say you belong to either of the breathing/non
breathing people. No one does. Almost every one is somewhere in between
these two extremes. As are you, or the people that demand the filing of
bugs of you.

> I signed up for the Beta Program a while back, but I heard nothing for
> months, then a short while ago I was contacted with the details,
> unfortunately I don't have enough time now. When I signed up I could
> have put aside a couple of hours a day.

See, you breathe "make beta's immediately after announcing them", and
someone else doesn't. You shouldn't ask yourself how to force the other
person to breathe what you breathe. If the situation bothers you, you
should try to find a form of breathing of which you think that both can
agree upon, and propose that to the other person. Of course that person
might still put you down, but the likelihood is probably  quite a lot
smaller.

Don't let the non-breather keep you down
Björnke von Gierke

--

official ChatRev page:
http://chatrev.bjoernke.com