Memory Leak on export png????

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Mar 21 12:01:32 EDT 2007

On 21 Mar 2007, at 15:28, Richard Gaskin wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>> If I were selling a product like RunRev and I did not have the
>> resources to test it on all the Platforms it shipped on, then I
>> would  say that in all my advertising and on my web site etc. etc.
>> etc. What  I wouldn't do is to not say a word anywhere and
>> continue to advertise  like all platforms are fully tested. To me
>> that is dishonest and  unprofessional.
>
> I suppose it would be, but that has nothing to do with what I wrote.
>
> Let me refresh your memory:
>
>    I'm glad you recognize that it's up to us to test
>    the specific implementations we use Rev for.  The
>    combinatorial explosion of all possible uses would
>    make it impossible for RunRev to do that.

We are talking at cross purposes. Let me refresh your memory:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> All I know is that if I were to write something like this (a file/
>> image data exporter) then once I'd got it working past the the
>> point  where I could write an image file in all the different
>> formats then  I'd run a soak test on it and let it run for *loads*
>> of (like 10,000 +) of iterations and I would have checked that
>> memory was being  released. In fact I wrote an external command
>> module that does  something similar (it analyzes movie frames) and
>> I *did* soak test it  and I *did* find memory leaks.
>> For me, this is software engineering 101.
>>

> Richard wrote:
> And it turns out that you did write an image exporter, and did run
> it through a soak test.  Good job.

  You are talking about beta testing, I was talking about testing
your code after developing it. As an example:

I wrote a module that does things with movies and/or images. There
are two parts to this, the RunRev "Test" Script and the C/C++
External. Since I am working with Movies and Images, this means there
is a lot of memory being allocated and therefore a chance that a
memory leak will occur. Over a period of a day or two I develop the C/
C++ code and the Test Script together. At some point I get to the
stage where I am Read/Writing/Analyzing a Movie/Image. As soon as I
get to this stage, I then soak test the C/C++ Command Handler. I do
this by testing it processing many thousands (like 10,000+) of Movies/
Files.

What I was saying is that the code I wrote was very similar to the
"export snapshot" command both in terms of usage (it uses a lot RAM)
and in terms of development both have a C/C++ core and a RunRev script.

Obviously this type of testing wasn't performed on the export
snapshot command. That was what I meant. In my case it was for Mac
only, but in the past I have developed both for Mac and Windows and
in the case I would soak test it on Mac and at least one version of
Windows before checking it in and before it even got as far as QA and
Beta Testing.

> Your comment about expecting payment for testing was equally snarky:
>
>>> RunRev can help by having Beta cycles whose length is more in
>>> keeping with industry norms, but the actual testing can't be
>>> done  by them; there are just too many possibilities.
>>>
>> I'd be happy to test it for them. How much are they paying?

Not sure what snarky means!

As I said I wasn't talking about beta testing, I was talking about
first level soak testing after you have got a part of your code
working. In the case where I don't have enough time to do this myself
I employ someone I trust and have worked with in the past to do it.

All the Best
Dave