Memory Leak on export png????

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 20 11:17:13 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> All I know is that if I were to write something like this (a file/
> image data exporter) then once I'd got it working past the the point
> where I could write an image file in all the different formats then
> I'd run a soak test on it and let it run for *loads* of (like 10,000
> +) of iterations and I would have checked that memory was being
> released. In fact I wrote an external command module that does
> something similar (it analyzes movie frames) and I *did* soak test it
> and I *did* find memory leaks.
>
> For me, this is software engineering 101.

And it turns out that you did write an image exporter, and did run it
through a soak test.  Good job.

I'm glad you recognize that it's up to us to test the specific
implementations we use Rev for.  The combinatorial explosion of all
possible uses would make it impossible for RunRev to do that.

RunRev can help by having Beta cycles whose length is more in keeping
with industry norms, but the actual testing can't be done by them; there
are just too many possibilities.

What was the final recipe for this error (I was unable to reproduce the
last one), and what's the BZ #?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal