Memory Leak on export png????

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Mar 20 10:14:04 EDT 2007

Dave wrote:
> Yet more information, I tried running it under 2.6.6.152 (using the
> older screen rectangle command syntax) and I got it to export 2000
> image files. It ran a *lot* slower but it didn't leak memory, so the
> problem must have been introduced in version 2.7.x.

FWIW, last night I experienced crashes in one of my apps built with v2.8
that has never crashes before.  This app is different from most others I
work on mainly because of the number and frequency of file-writing
operations.  There may be a connection to what you're seeing, or
something else.  If I find a pattern I'll get back to you.

> I can't see that this could have been tested past a cursory glance
> before releasing it.

While RunRev has had a history of some of the shorted Beta cycles I've
ever seen, in this case the time between v2.6 and the current v2.8 spans
more than a year and during most of that time this issue eluded a
recipe.  That this is being seen now and a recipe is being honed in on
is a good thing, but I'd hate to see RunRev err too far the other
direction with Beta cycles extending longer than a year. Some bugs are
not immediately evident, and will take time to discover amidst the
nearly infinite combination of tokens that can be executed.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation