Installing Ubuntu or other Linuxes

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Mar 19 10:48:31 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:
> In my last post, I recommended a short article of simple, practical
> (layman's) advice for those considering the possibility of trying Linux
> (or my favourite, Ubuntu) and Rev/Linux 2.6.1 for the first time.
>
> It has now been properly presented, and you can view it at the following
> URL if you are interested:
>
> http://www.howsoft.com/runrev/installing_ubuntu_or_other_linuxes.htm

Thanks for that, Bob.  One thing I love about Ubuntu, and which bodes
well for its broad adoption, is that they have probably the easiest,
most convenient, one-CD-image install I've seen.  Your article makes it
even easier.  Good work.

> There is one other simple piece of advice I would like to offer in
> addition to that given in the article. After downloading ISO files from
> Ubuntu or any other source, CHECK THE BYTE COUNT IS CORRECT before
> burning your CD or attempting to install.

Providing checksums seems a relatively common practice these days, but
it raises a question:  if a hacker can replace the download, what's to
prevent them from also replacing the checksum string?

I've had a few customers from large organizations ask me to provide a
checksum for WebMerge, and when I've asked them that question they've
had no answer.  Any insight into what I'm overlooking on this would be
appreciated.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation