[OFF] Input/Info Requested

Joe Lewis Wilkins pepetoo at Cox.Net
Fri Mar 16 14:27:54 EDT 2007

Hi Marielle,

A few weeks back I broached that very issue. Or, maybe, even more
ambitiously, about the total scope of available resources for RunRev.
It had become pretty obvious to me that there are just tons and tons
of materials, suggestions, approaches, et. out there, but the newbie
to Rev has got to be bewildered. When I was working heavily with
FutureBasic, I was pushing for the design of a few really good
templates to be used by newbies of FB a starting point. We even did a
few; and, except for its Mac only capabilities, FB is the best,
fastest and easiest there is. Lots of it are in assembly language,
and like this list, the FB lists are impressive, though not as
"hurried".

Were it not for the fact that I am now simply swamped with
architectural commitments, I thoroughly intended to pursue the
template concept of Macinstruct.com;but it turns out that I'm
actually having to take an hiatus from my column on Revolution there;
perhaps for as long as a couple of months. Frankly, templates make
less sense with Rev, because the interface design is so simple to
begin with; meaning that an evaluation of the available resource when
pursuing a specific type of design, plus a heads up with respect to
the potential gotchas, is probably a better approach. Break down the
kinds of things that might be attempted by someone, and they outline
an approach that they might use to achieve those ends. I don't think
there is a lot of new ground that would have to be broken, just
guidance as to where to look for an specific challenge; since you can
spend a lifetime reading all the stuff that is available, but not
really find the things that a person might need at the time. I'm just
running off at the mouth, so excuse me. I know you understand,
probably far better than I do.

With FB, I tried to recruit a team to work with me on the "template"
approach, and got a few takers, but ended up doing most of it myself.
I assume it would be the same here, and I don't currently have the
free time to take somethng like this on. Much as I would love the
challenge.

Joe Wilkins