Linux questions for Jacque

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Wed Mar 14 18:13:51 EDT 2007

Bob Warren wrote:
> Jacque:
>
> I have just made another little test program so that I can type into the
> field. My wife's Ubuntu is in Portuguese, and she has an ABNT keyboard.
>
> Of course, when she uses any program other than Rev (Word, Text Editor),
> everything is 100%.
>
> On her computer, if I try typing Portuguese symbols into the field of
> the test stack, I get nothing but junk (pairs of symbols). The
> characters that correspond to English ones come out OK.
>
> If I paste Portuguese text into the test field, it displays perfectly,
> but when trying to print, the result is the same as on my computer.

This sounds suspiciously like a unicode issue to me. What does the
message box tell you if you type:

   put the textfont of fld <whatever>

If the text isn't all one font, you should see "mixed". When you paste
unicode text into a field, the textfont will change to a unicode font
for the pasted chunk. If you can calculate it, try getting the text
offsets for a pasted chunk and ask the message box this:

What do you get back? Is it just something like "Ariel" or is two words
separated by a comma?

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com