Linux-specific technical problems

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Tue Mar 13 23:12:03 EDT 2007

Bob-

Monday, March 12, 2007, 8:56:54 AM, you wrote:

> 2. Why doesn't the following work?

>  put "smbclient\ \\\\john\\c\ mount" into procToDo
>  open process procToDo for update
>  write "dir" to process procToDo   [or "dir" & return]
>  read from process procToDo until eof
>  put it into field "test"
>  quit
>  close process  procToDo

Well, for one, "mount" doesn't appear to be a valid command to
smbclient. You should try this in a shell window first, get it
working, then try it from rev. My guess is you'll also have to put
username%password info into the commandline as well. Try smbclient -?
for the available options.

Secondly, I don't really think smbclient is something that you'd want
running as a process, unless you've got something really wild in mind.
I'm not an expert on this by any means, but my understanding is that
"open process" is for something you want running in the background, as
on a server, as a daemon for other processes to communicate with. If
you just want to grab a directory listing or file off an smb server
then try the shell() function instead.

put "smbclient \\\\john\\c -Wworkgroup -Uuser%password -cdir" into \
procToDo
put shell(procToDo) into field "test"

--
-Mark Wieder