Vista, Speech Wreckognition, and perl

Bernard Devlin revolution at knowledgeworks.plus.com
Tue Mar 13 10:41:12 EDT 2007

The in-built speech recognition of Vista is also something of a
johnny-come-lately.

IBM's OS/2 had voice type and speech navigation built-in.... back in
1996.  Yep, more than a decade before Vista.  I tried out the speech
recognition on OS/2 at the time, running on a P5 133mhz machine with
32mb of RAM.   The performance might have been slightly slower than
in that video, but it was also much more accurate than was
demonstrated in the Perl programming example (and I'm talking about
accuracy out of the box - I never did any coaching for the speech
recognition engine in OS/2).

Ten years later, and so little progress.  OS/2 had an object-oriented
desktop back in version 2.0 (1992).   Microsoft still haven't
produced the object-oriented OS (Cairo) that they talked up back then
-- it was obviously just FUD, another way to kill any competition
(just like the punishment they meted out to any OEM that would pre-
load OS/2 instead of Windows).

Bernard