[ANN] Major Windows DST Bug

Devin Asay devin_asay at byu.edu
Mon Mar 12 17:30:58 EDT 2007

On Mar 12, 2007, at 3:06 PM, Ken Ray wrote:

> I have uncovered a Major (BLOCKER) Windows bug related to the most
> recent change in Daylight Savings Time for the United States.
> Revolution will overcompensate for the DST by adding and additional
> hour to the time whenever you execute 'convert'. To see what I mean,
> make sure you have "Automatically adjust clock for Daylight Savings
> Time" turned on in your Date/Time prefs, launch Rev (or MC) under at
> least XP Pro or Vista Home Premium (the two systems I tested), and
> type:
>
>   put the time into x;convert x to long time;put x
>
> You should see that the time you get back is one more hour ahead of
> your current time. So if it is currently 2:05 PM without the DST
> adjustment, and you have the checkbox checked, Windows will show that
> it is 3:05 PM (correct). But if you run the code above, x will be
> "4:05:00 PM".
>
> I can only assume that when Rev asks the OS for the time it gets two
> factors the non-adjusted time, and a flag whether DST is currently
> applied. In the past, Windows would have handed over "2:05" and "True"
> (in the example above), and Rev would have adjusted the time
> accordingly. But the latest Windows XP/Vista DST patch seems to be
> handing over the ADJUSTED time, and the flag, so it would hand over
> "3:05" and "True", so Rev is over-adjusting by another hour.
>
> There is no easy scripted fix other than finding every location where
> 'convert' is used and parsing strings into chunks.... yechh!
>
> I have logged this into Bugzilla as bug #4526.
>
> This is a MAJOR BLOCKER problem and is going to hit a LOT of
> people, so
> forwarned is forearmed...

Talk about timing! I was just this minute debugging a Rev-based
scheduling app that is working fine on my Mac, but on XP the time
returned when I request a certain time on the schedule are *2 hours
ahead* of what they should be. (I have the "Automatically adjust"
flag set to true in Windows.) Oy! I use convert heavily in this app,
too.

This seems like a problem with the windows DST patch, not Rev. So
shouldn't Microsoft fix it? Surely Rev isn't the only application
affected by it.

Devin

Devin Asay
Brigham Young University