Reading OSX mail attachments

Tim Ponn alptex2 at orwell.net
Mon Mar 12 10:15:59 EDT 2007

Hello,

Thanks for your help, but I'm still having problems displaying the
image correctly.  This snippet from the .eml file says it's base 64:

--FTG_BOUNDRY

But, when I open the file within rev...strip out all the text ahead
of the attachment...strip out all the junk past the end of the
attachment...then set the image data of an image to base64Decode
(theattachment)...I get mostly a black image with a sliver of hash on
the left side.

I have got to be missing something basic here!

On Mar 9, 2007, at 4:52 PM, Brent Anderson wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I've done something similar with audio clips and those were in base
> 64 format. A quick base64decode function call should do the trick.
>
> Thanks,
> Brent Anderson
> Christa McAuliffe Space Education Center
>
> On Mar 9, 2007, at 9:51 AM, Ken Ray wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:55:32 -0500, Tim Ponn wrote:
>>
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I have a situation where customer orders come to me via email with a
>>> photo attachment.  It occurred to me that I could use rev to
>>> create a
>>> db front end that could be pointed at the appropriate mailbox folder
>>> and then have it extract each message.  Then, each message becomes a
>>> record in my db.
>>>
>>> Extracting the data is a piece o cake.  Then I come to the
>>> attachment.  Apple apparently uses a compression technique to store
>>> the image (jpg, bmp, whatever) within each individual message.  Has
>>> anybody fiddled with reading and displaying these attachments?  Any
>>> thoughts?  Ideas?  Laughs? ;=)
>>
>> Well, as a last resort you could leave it in Mail, and then use
>> AppleScript to get at the message and its attachments. Barring
>> that, I
>> haven't had to read embedded mail attachments directly, but I'd
>> assume
>> they are either BinHexed or AppleDouble encoded...
>>

>> Ken Ray
>> Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.

Best Regards,

Timothy R. Ponn