Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Sat Mar 10 23:52:45 EST 2007

Mark Wieder wrote:

>Don't know about you, but I have been unable to install kubuntu onto a
2GB u3 drive. The installer doesn't recognize it as a device that can
be a candidate for installing (hard disk or cdrom device). I have
tried this with both 6.06 and 7.04. It doesn't appear to be a matter
of the u3 firmware, since that shouldn't affect a non-Windows system,
but rather that ubuntu doesn't seem to allow installing onto usb
devices at all.

You're more advanced than I am, because I have not even bought my 2GB
pendrive yet, let alone trying to install Ubuntu on it. But while I was
browsing on the Internet the other day, I came across reports of people
who had actually done it, and I even seem to remember finding
instructions for doing the installation of Ubuntu. Unfortunately, I
didn't keep a note of the sites. It seemed a bit complicated, and that
was enough to put me off for the present. Hopefully, later, it will
become as simple as it is with Puppy Linux, although that might not
really materialize in view of the fact that Puppy runs 100% from memory,
a very different structure to that of Ubuntu. Anyway, if I manage to
find that info again, I'll let you know.

Bob