Reading OSX mail attachments

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Mar 9 11:51:04 EST 2007

On Fri, 9 Mar 2007 09:55:32 -0500, Tim Ponn wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a situation where customer orders come to me via email with a
> photo attachment.  It occurred to me that I could use rev to create a
> db front end that could be pointed at the appropriate mailbox folder
> and then have it extract each message.  Then, each message becomes a
> record in my db.
>
> Extracting the data is a piece o cake.  Then I come to the
> attachment.  Apple apparently uses a compression technique to store
> the image (jpg, bmp, whatever) within each individual message.  Has
> anybody fiddled with reading and displaying these attachments?  Any
> thoughts?  Ideas?  Laughs? ;=)

Well, as a last resort you could leave it in Mail, and then use
AppleScript to get at the message and its attachments. Barring that, I
haven't had to read embedded mail attachments directly, but I'd assume
they are either BinHexed or AppleDouble encoded...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software, Inc.
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/