Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Thu Mar 8 13:12:48 EST 2007

Just quickly Luis:

>Out of curiosity: If you have a second USB flash drive, and you plug
that in as well, does it make any difference?

My wife tried to buy me a 2nd pendrive last week, but the max size they
had was 1GB. I'm looking for a 2GB drive so that perhaps I can run
Ubuntu from it later on. Sorry, no go at the moment.

 >Spotted this bug in the Ubuntu support, is it the same one you're
referring to? https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/2436

No, the report I put in myself is this one:

I have the awful feeling this really is supposed to be a feature. If you
try to execute a Rev app from the pendrive it comes up with a message
saying that there is no available software for its installation. What
worries me is the possibility that soon it will also be impossible to
run Rev standalone apps from the Desktop or anywhere else for that
matter without a setup procedure. There are perhaps security
considerations involved here, but in practical terms it would be a
disaster for the portability of Rev apps (and possibly Rebol apps too).

To me, this is an extremely important issue. I have informed Kevin about
it and I have tried to take it up with Ubuntu, but so far nobody has
demonstrated any interest. I am beginning to wonder why I should bother
to bust my own guts over it. Que sera sera???

Bob