shell() in a separate thread with callback message at exit?
joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Thu Mar 8 05:20:44 CST 2007
How can I implement the following features:
- invoque a shell command in a separate thread, i.e. a non blocking
shell during execution of the command;
- receive a callback message with the output and the error result
when the thread exits?
This would be some function similar to the load command, i.e.:
shellExecute commandLine [with message callbackMessage]
The commandLine is a string or an expression that evaluates to a
The callbackMessage is the name of a message to send after the
The callbackMessage signature would be:
on <callbackMessage> pCmdOutput,pCmdError,pShellError
- pCmdOutput is the value returned by the shell function, i.e. the
result of the sdtout commandLine, including any error messages the
- pCmdError is the error the command generate (sdterr under unix).
- pShellError is the shell command's exit code.
If I remember well the externals API allows for such threading and
callback but I am not a C expert. Could anyone give me refs/pointers
to a solution? I need a multiplatform solution.
Thanks a lot ! Joël
More information about the use-livecode