Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Luis luis at anachreon.co.uk
Thu Mar 8 04:56:30 EST 2007

Hiya,

See inline replies.

Bob Warren wrote:
> Luis and Rishi:
>
> Please excuse my quick/generic answers: I'm tired, it's late, and I
> still have work to do...

Try 4 hours kip a night for 5 years... :) Ok, maybe an extra 2 on a
friday night.

> ------------------------------------
> 1. Wherever I find options for changing permissions, if I set them they
> get turned off.
> 2. "Plugdev"? That one's got me.

That's the group for plugabble devices, it has a set of specific
permissions. If your logon is part of that group also then it inherits
those permissions.

> 3. Root doesn't help.

I've seen that happen on 6.10.

> 4. Nothing appears in fstab at all!

Now that's odd, but not necessarily bad.

> 5. 6.0.6 is fine. The trouble is with Feisty Fawn Herd 5 - running from
> the Live CD.

Yup, figured that might be the case: It's pointing the the new USB
subsystem in the newer kernels.

Try this: sudo mount -a
Although with no entries in fstab, hmmm... let me know if it does anything.

Out of curiosity: If you have a second USB flash drive, and you plug
that in as well, does it make any difference?

> This bug (?) has been assigned to someone in Ubuntu. I'll send him an
> e-mail tomorrow.
>
> Nighty-night.
>
> Bob

Spotted this bug in the Ubuntu support, is it the same one you're
referring to? https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+ticket/2436

Cheers,

Luis.