OT: Windows net traffic

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Mar 8 01:02:00 EST 2007

Jim Ault wrote:
> On 3/7/07 9:14 PM, "J. Landman Gay" <jacque at hyperactivesw.com> wrote:
>>> ... try typing "sudo tcpdump" in
>>> a Terminal window. Type Control-c to stop.
>> Wow, it's all in there, isn't it? I was overwhelmed with output. Then I
>> read the man page and figured out how to limit the output to only stuff
>> going in and out of my desktop machine. That's pretty cool, in spite of
>> how your eyes can glaze over after reading 831 entries.
>
> All I get is:
>
> tcpdump: WARNING: en0: no IPv4 address assigned
> tcpdump: listening on en0, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96
> bytes
> ^C
> 0 packets captured
> 0 packets received by filter
> 0 packets dropped by kernel
> [jimaultscomputer:~] jault%
>

> so I must be in a pretty quiet part of the internet.

Are you on a network? I was seeing everything -- communications with the
router, my email client auto-checking with my provider for email, the
other machines on the network broadcasting their presence, my router
asking for machine data, etc. etc. I got over 800 entries in under 5
minutes. Then I went to a few web sites while the log was still running,
and saw every interaction with the remote sites. Try starting the dump
and then getting your mail, or visiting a web site. If you are just
sitting idle and there are no other active machines on the network, then
you probably aren't generating any activity.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com