Potential disaster for Rev/Linux pendrive apps

Bob Warren bobwarren at howsoft.com
Wed Mar 7 22:12:39 EST 2007

Luis and Rishi:

Please excuse my quick/generic answers: I'm tired, it's late, and I
still have work to do...

Luis wrote:

>This reminded me of something on OS X: If you do a 'Get Info' on an
attached storage device there is the option (tick box) to ignore the
ownership permissions on the device. There may be a general setting
for attached storage devices in Ubuntu, or similar option on one of
the property tabs once the device is attached.
Gnome has been enhanced with added management features, so this may
be one of them.
Might need to look see if plugdev has group membership.

Can you get it to work as root?

In fstab, is it mounted with 'auto' or does it display the correct
filesystem type?

Does it work in 6.0.6 LTS? I've had some issues with 6.10 and USB...

------------------------------------
1. Wherever I find options for changing permissions, if I set them they get turned off.
2. "Plugdev"? That one's got me.
3. Root doesn't help.
4. Nothing appears in fstab at all!
5. 6.0.6 is fine. The trouble is with Feisty Fawn Herd 5 - running from the Live CD.
-----------------------------------

Rishi wrote:

>As root user on terminal you could try:
chmod +x /media/KINGSTON/Revolution/revolution.x86
or
chmod 777 /media/KINGSTON/Revolution/revolution.x86

No luck I'm afraid.

This bug (?) has been assigned to someone in Ubuntu. I'll send him an e-mail tomorrow.

Nighty-night.

Bob