OT: Windows net traffic

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Wed Mar 7 17:21:26 EST 2007

What is Windows doing with my network when I'm not looking?

Here's the scenario:

I have XP running in Parallels on my MacBook, and I'm monitoring network
activity with Interarchy.  As long as I don't run Mac net apps and have
the Internet connection turned off in Parallels, Interarchy shows now
net activity.

But as soon as I turn on the network connection with Parallels,
something in Windows insists on having lengthy conversations with a
server in Houston (location derived from dropping the IP in this handy
tool: <http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation>).

I've reviewed all of the currently active processes in Windows Task
Manager, and except for Revolution all processes come from EXEs stored
in /System32/, so I don't suspect trojan horses or viruses at this time.

Any clues as to what in my XP system needs to keep chatting it up with
some server in Houston?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation