Moving a File

Dave dave at looktowindward.com
Wed Mar 7 04:59:25 EST 2007

On 6 Mar 2007, at 19:36, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> Do you really think it's worth reporting it?
>
> It depends on whether you want to vent (in which case, posting to
> the list is okay) or get it fixed (in which case, only a Bugzilla
> report will do.) The engineers don't read the list to find bugs.
> They only look for bugs in Bugzilla. If your report isn't in there,
> they won't know about it.
>
>> I mean nothing else ever seems to get fixed, so really what's the
>> point.
>
> A quick scan shows 2583 bugs fixed or resolved. That seems like
> more than "nothing". The most recent release, version 2.8, fixed
> over 50 IDE bugs and several engine bugs.

It's probably just (un) luck but the ones I quickly from that list
were still broken or broken in different ways!

> Note that 2.8 is an interim release, primarily intended to help
> developers build for their customers who use Vista. The next
> release is intended as a huge bug fix release, and getting your
> report into Bugzilla now will give it a better chance of inclusion
> when the big bug-bust happens.
>
>> I know about it now and have protected myself by making "Move" and
>> "Rename" functions that do all the checking the base command
>> should do.

> You should probably mark your report as a documentation bug, as the
> functionality most likely won't change. It's been in use for many
> years, and is well established usage in lots of stacks.

IMO, it should be deprecated in favour of:

revRenameFile
revRenameFolder
revMoveFile
revMoveFolder

as well as any other file system functions that do not have a "rev"
counterpart. e.g. for some commands you have a "rev" function and
others you . They should be made into "rev" functions and made to
work consistently.

All the Best
Dave